When I first started this project, I tried to come up with a basic idea for a show. I decided to make my show about detectives and crime. I like monkeys, so I made the main character a monkey instead of a person. I then tried creating a beat that would fit with a show like this. I found a flute that sort of sounded spooky and mysterious, and I also created a suspenseful sounding loop on the piano. I added drums that sort of sounded like a heartbeat in order to make it sound even more suspenseful. For the part of the video where the possibility of a murder is introduced, I got a simple bass loop that sounds sinister and feels like it belongs in a show like this. I then found images online that I could use for my video, such as murder evidence photos, and various pictures of monkeys dressed like detectives. Once I put them all together and imported my audio from soundtrap, I was done.
This is my first complete song. I'm still very new to this, but I'd like to continue learning and get better.
Word of the day is process. When I was trying to make my song, I first found out which notes I’d need to play so that my song would be in the Dorian mode. After that, I found chords that sounded nice to me in this mode. Once I found some chords I liked, I put together a drum beat. I originally had the tempo at 120 beats per minute, but I reduced it to 80 since I didn’t want a super fast song. After that I searched for instruments that sounded nice in the Dorian mode. I settled on a high pitched synth and a grand piano. Then I found a bass instrument that sounded really deep and rough to add to my song. Once I got the sounds on the piano, the bass, and synth to sound decent I created a series of intro chords and then organized my loops and made a song. At the end, I messed with the dials on the instruments for things like reverb, bass, treble, and volume.
Word of the day is Learning. During this project, I learned a lot about chords and how to use them when making music. I also learned how different modes can have a major effect on the mood and energy of my music. After experimenting with various instruments in the dorian mode, I learned that certain chords sound better on certain instruments. I also found that I can add a richer sound to my music by playing the same chord on multiple instruments at the same time. Finally, I learned how to automate my loops when they were going to be repeating for a long time.